In the quiet remoteness of her home recording studio, Swiss songstress Veronica Fusaro developed her characteristic soul pop sound and the bluntness of her songs. She will performing at the On The Lawn in Johannesburg on the 3rd of December 2022. You’ve probably never heard of her, but today my aim is to change that…
Who is Veronica Fusaro?
Veronica was born and still resides in Switzerland, and grew up in a half Italian household. Influenced by the likes of Alicia Keys, The 1975 and Amy Winehouse, Veronica first stepped into the spotlight in 2016 with her self-produced EP ‘Lost In Thought’ and surprised the music industry by winning the ‘Demo of the Year’ at the prominent M4Music Festival.
To date, Fusaro has played over 400 shows, including being the support act for Dire Straits legend Mark Knopfler in the amphitheater in Nîmes, for Eagle-Eye Cherry’s album release Tour in France, for Ibeyi in London, playing Glastonbury 2019 and the Eurosonic Festival 2020.
Veronica Fusaros debut album is on it’s way, full of organic and raw sounds, honest lyrics and a unique, intriguing voice that skillfully balances between the depth and playfulness of her music: pure, powerful and intimate.
Here are 10 Interesting Facts about Veronica Fusaro
1. Veronica Fusaro almost started learning to play the cornet (sort of a trumpet) instead of the guitar, when she was in third grade. Her dad convinced her to start playing the guitar though. He said that she could sing along to playing the guitar, but she’s also sure he also convinced her partly cause he didn’t enjoy the beginner-sounds she was making with the cornet.
2. Her favorite dish is Parmigiana, an Italian dish that her mom masters so well.
3. Modern Family is her favorite show to binge watch.
4. Veronica Fusaro’s favorite place in the world is at her grandma’s place in South Italy.
5. She started studying Sociology and English at university, but then decided that she wanted to go for her dream full time and she stopped going.
6. Her right ear sticks out slightly more than her left one
7. Fusaro can speak 4 and a half languages. She count Swiss German as a half, because it’s not an official language, there’s no grammar to it. But it’s different than German, so she guesses that it’s a language still.
8. The songs that were made for the FIFA World Cup in South Africa are some of the greatest World Cup songs ever made. She used to have them on a compilation CD, and she still remembers rocking out to them.
9. When she was little, she wanted to be the first woman in the Italian national football team.
10. Her show in Johannesburg is going to be her first ever show on the African continent! And she’s sooo excited!
I would like to thank Veronica Fusaro for giving us these facts about her. If you don’t have tickets for On The Lawn (which also has Matthew Mole, Desmond & The Tutus, Neon Dreams and WIll Linley on the line-up and will take place at Marks Park), get your tickets HERE.
To get an idea of her sound, crank up Veronica’s track “Summer Lighting” below:
Watch this space for updates in the People category on Interesting Facts.
Scroll down to view related articles to get more facts. If you want to stay in the loop, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).