I’ve always been a fan of Debonairs Pizza because they have a reputation for quality food and good service. It’s amazing what this company has accomplished over the years.
I think my love for it comes from my mom’s side of the family and there’s no better hangover cure than pizza (especially if you combine it with Creme Soda). Debonairs usually does the job.
Here are 13 Facts you might not have known about Debonairs Pizza
1. The company has its origins in Pietermaritzburg in Kwazulu Natal. The company was founded in 1991.
2. The company sold 6 pizzas out of a bakery in their first day of trading.
3. In 1996 the Steers group of companies acquired Debonairs Pizza.
4. They were the first pizza brand in Africa to offer online & mobile ordering.
5. This pizza chain was also the first in South Africa to offer free delivery.
6. They were also the first pizza chain to offer a hot or not quality promise.
7. They were also the first pizza brand in the country to offer pepperdews as a pizza topping.
8. Their Springsgate Drive Thru branch is the first pizza Drive Thru in Africa.
9. Besides South Africa, the company has outlets in Botswana, the Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, the United Arab Emirates and Zambia.
10. The company opened it’s 400th South African store at Montecasino in Johannesburg on the 4th of December 2012.
11. By the end of December 2020 Debonair’s Pizza had 700 restuarant locations. The company employs more than 5700 people.
12. According to 2014 stats, some 2.2 million Debonair’s Pizza transactions were conducted in South Africa and the Rest of Africa region every month and 27.5 million pizzas are delivered per year. That number is probably higher now.
13. In 2012 the brand launched its “Dough Nation” CSI initiative, whereby all fresh left-over dough is baked into pizza breads and donated to local charities supporting disadvantaged communities. Since May 2014, 121 000 pizza breads have been donated.
There you go, 10 interesting facts about Debonairs Pizza. I trust that you find this information useful. If you do, feel free to share this post with you friends on Facebook and Twitter, it’s the right thing to do.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Business category on Interesting Facts.
Scroll down to view related articles to get more facts. If you want to stay in the loop, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).