Medicine Boy made waves in the SA Rock scene and quickly became one of South Africa’s well-loved dream noise acts. I’ve seen them play Mieliepop and Park Acoustics and I have to admit that I was blown away on both occasions. Apart from the fact that they hail from Cape Town, South Africa, not much else is known about Medicine Boy, but today my aim is to change that.
Here are 10 Interesting Facts You Might Not Know About Medicine Boy
1. Medicine Boy does all our own management, bookings, tour management, driving, etc. When they started this band they decided they were going to be extremely hands-on. Being in the music industry for quite some time, they realized that nobody was going to put more love into this than they were. When the times comes, along with the right people, I’m sure they’ll move on from doing it all themselves. But for now, they prefer it that way (also who’s got money to pay these people?)
2. They believe in keeping close collaborations with friends. Their designers, photographers & videographers are all close friends. They feel it’s important to build & nurture creative relationships over time. The visual element of the band is something a select group of Cape Town based artists have helped shape & they feel extremely lucky to have them on their ride with them.
3. Medicine Boy once met an Eastern European trans-gender woman in France who was obsessed with old Afrikaans culture. She had even given herself an Afrikaans name. Steve Hofmeyer was a figure of much interest to her & she knew all the words to De La Rey. (Twilight Zone Much?)
4. They agree that the film Ratatouille might be the greatest cinematic achievement of their time.
5. Anton Newcombe (The Brian Jonestown Massacre) DJ’d at a show they played in Berlin. As they were setting up he played the live version of ‘Sympathy For The Devil’ from Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out & right after their set, Nick Cave’s ‘Stagger Lee’. They thought that if he found those song selections fitting, they must be doing something right.
6. On their first European tour, they ate boiled duck. Andre is now a vegetarian & Lucy a vegan.
7. They’re finishing up a new album at the moment & unlike before, they’ll be playing all the songs live before their release next year.
8. At 2017’s Oppikoppi & Endless Daze Festivals they were joined by Hezron Chetty on violin and Lucy Hazard on visuals.
9. They wept together at a Patti Smith show in Barcelona.
10. They will not turn their amps around. And yes – that much reverb is involved in their sets.
11. Sadly, by the end of 2019, the band’s members announced that they would be focusing on their respective solo projects.
To get an idea of their sound, watch the video for “For The Time Being” below:
I’d like to thank Medicine Boy for these interesting facts. I feel much more informed now.
Watch this space for regular updates in the Music category on Interesting Facts.
Scroll down to view related articles to get more facts. If you want to stay in the loop, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).