Justin VR is a singer-songwriter from Cape Town who has actively been involved in events and entertainment for over 25 years with his own sound and lighting business.
His love of music began from his childhood years, spending countless hours browsing and listening to his father’s extensive LP collection. He was drawn into every genre imaginable from Rock, Folk, Blues, Country to Pop, and everything in between.
2020 will always stand out as the year when the world was turned on its head, but it was also the year that Justin VR’s personal music journey begun. Artists around the world reverted to streaming in the hope of getting their voices and music heard. Justin did the same and started weekend online sets from his social media pages called The Garage Sessions.
Producer, musician, and songwriter Malcolm Ormond tuned in with his first live stream and called Justin VR soon thereafter. They worked on some covers over the years, but this was different. He had something else in my mind and soon they were recording and writing together.
A few months later they released a Bluesy-Rock-tinged single “Got Me Blind” reflecting on what lockdown had done to the world, and how it changed them as well. The song was well received with both international and local airplay.
Constantly blending guitar-driven Rock with Modern Country and Pop, Justin VR has firmly settled in his own unique sound with follow-up singles and has released his new single ‘She Said …’ today (on the 19th of May 2023).
There’s probably a lot that you don’t know about this musician, but today my aim is to change that…
Here are 10 Interesting Facts You Might Not Have Known about Justin VR
1. At age 10 he was rehearsing as vocalist in a school play. He fancied the girl on piano and kept his eyes on her, rather than what he was doing or where I was walking … he walked right off the 2m high stage and broke his left arm as a result!
2. Justin VR’s favourite band of all time is 80s legends a-ha. He idolised lead vocalist Morten Harket, and was mesmerised by his vocal range. He even tried to dress like him in the late 80s early 90s.
3. He’s allergic to all Lucozade drinks.
4. Justin VR is scared of heights.
5. He has a fear of drowning in the ocean …yet loves being on boats. Weird!
6. He was a very good soccer player back in the day and played Western Province football at age 19.
7. He hates Sushi.
8. Justin VR owns an Online Radio Station that tries to promote local “unsigned” artists and give them the airplay they deserve.
9. The first song he ever performed live to an audience as an adult was “Faith” by George Michael.
10. Justin VR has been part of the entertainment industry for over 25 years, has a sound & lighting business and has worked with many of SA’s biggest artists over the years.
Well, there you have it, 10 interesting facts you might not have known about Justin VR. If I’ve left out something important, feel free to comment below.
Watch this space for updates in the People category on Interesting Facts.
Scroll down to view related articles to get more facts. If you want to stay in the loop, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).