Fool Me Once, an eight-part British television series produced for Netflix by Quay Street Productions in 2024, is an adaptation of the 2016 Harlan Coben novel of the same name, skillfully crafted for the screen by Danny Brocklehurst. The stellar cast features Michelle Keegan, Richard Armitage, Adeel Akhtar, Emmett J. Scanlan, and Joanna Lumley.
Fool Me Once tells the story of a family that is in turmoil following two murders. As Maya Stern (Michelle Keegan) reviews security camera footage of her home, she is shocked to witness her deceased husband, Joe (Richard Armitage), reappear as an intruder.
Meanwhile, Abby (Dänya Griver) and Daniel (Daniel Burt), Maya’s niece and nephew, are diligently investigating the circumstances surrounding their mother’s murder and uncovering possible links between the two cases.
There’s probably a lot that you don’t know about this series, but today my aim is to change that…
Here are 8 Interesting Facts You Might Not Know about Fool Me Once
1. The Burkett family estate is identical to the residence featured as Tommy Shelby’s house in Peaky Blinders. The estate is at Arley Hall & Gardens in Northwich, Cheshire (in the UK).
2. Richard Armitage takes on his third Netflix series role based on a book by Harlan Coben. His initial portrayal was as Adam Price in The Stranger (2020), followed by Ray Levine in Stay Close (2021), and now, in this third installment in 2024, he assumes the character of Joe Burkett.
3. The sports club highlighted in this series mirrors the one depicted in The Stranger. While the name may differ, the unmistakable red brick building remains identical in both portrayals.
4. In contrast to the American setting of Harlan Coben’s novel, the series takes place in the United Kingdom. Coben also served as an executive producer on the show.
5. Fool Me Once marks the eighth title by Coben in Netflix’s collection, and the streaming platform is actively expanding its Harlan Coben universe, indicating there is more to come.
6, The series (which was released on the 1st January 2024) was an instant hit for Netflix. It hit the number one streaming spot in several countries.
7. Unlike the book, the series provides DS Sami Kierce (who is played by Adeel Akhtar) with a backstory, effectively bringing his character to life in the role.
8. The series was filmed in Manchester, England as well as other locations in the North West of England. The cast and crew also travelled to Spain for additional filming. Filming took place in early to mid 2023.
Well, there you have it, 8 Interesting Facts you might not have known about Fool Me Once. If I’ve left out something important, feel free to comment below.
Watch the trailer for the series below:
Watch this space for updates in the TV category on Interesting Facts.
Scroll down to view related articles to get more facts. If you want to stay in the loop, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).