Kat is a highly compelling South African singer, multi-instrumentalist, looper and international live musician. Recognised globally for her energetically dynamic performances, which comprises a little bit of everything for all ages to enjoy, Kat is an irresistible creative who skilfully fuses Blues, Rock, Pop, Jazz and Electronic in her own incomparable way.
Kat was born into the performing arts world from a young age and this is where her love for being on stage and entertaining audiences began. After performing live all over the world in countries such as the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Japan and South Africa as a professional rock artist and bassist, Kat‘s live shows present an extensive assortment of her musical influences and always-evolving skillset.
Kat has worked with world class talent such as Mark Haze and has had both local and international radio play and news coverage. Kat wants to get audiences up and dancing and enjoying the music!
You probably don’t know much about Kat, but today my aim is to change that…
Here are 10 Interesting Facts You Didn’t Know About Kat
1. She grew up in Hong Kong and she can speak Mandarin.
2. She can tap dance
3. She built her first cigarbox guitar and taught herself how to play it.
4. Her dad is the 3-time champion jockey Felix Coetzee.
5. She is a whiskey collector and she loving going to whiskey tastings.
6. She loves musicals and she grew up performing in many.
7. She can play 7 different instruments.
8. Her dog Elliot takes up the majority of her time when she’s home. He is very demanding and a bit of a brat, but she loves him dearly.
9. She never wanted to play the bass, it’s just a position that she’s always happened to fall into throughout the year, but now its her favourite instrument to play.
10. Gudetama is her spirit animal.
Well, there you have it, 10 interesting facts you didn’t know about Kat. If you’re not familiar with her music, check out the video for “Wolves” (featuring Mark Haze) below:
Watch this space for updates in the People category on SA Music Zone.
Scroll down to view related articles to get more facts. If you want to stay in the loop, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter.
If you live in South Africa and you're looking for a live music gig or music festival to attend, feel free to check The SA Gig Guide on our sister site (SA Music Zone).